Peter Davies’ CV
A commercially aware technical expert within the field of industrial boilers and related combustion technology. An excellent communicator, utilises his wealth of experience to present optimum technical and environmental solutions to client problems.
- Technical developments of modern combustion techniques in the industrial water tube boiler market
- Advising manufacturers on current state-of-the-art fluidised combustion techniques
- Developing equipment to improve combustion and operation and energy efficiency of industrial boilers
- Fundamental design studies of fluidised bed combustion systems
- Successfully completed work programmes to assess the performance of large industrial boiler plant, with particular attention being paid to achieving good efficiency, availability and environmental performance
- Major technical and practical contributor to ECSC projects concerned with developments aimed at improving the efficiency and operation of industrial boilers
- Developed the commercial market for a novel design of combustion grate. Sales accounted for £160k in the first 12 months
- Joint winner of DTI SMART award to develop a novel gas-cleaning device.
April 1995 – Present: Consultant Engineer and Director Environmental Development Technology
Set up a combustion and gas cleaning consultancy in partnership with 2 ex-CRE colleagues.
Joint responsibility for all business related decision making. Particular business responsibility for providing technical support to industrial boiler plant operators. These activities include combustion tuning, the design and supply of control equipment and the uprating of ancillary equipment to reduce operating costs, reduce environmental impact and extend component life. Also involved in energy management activities for industrial/school buildings and training of boiler house staff in plant operation, safety and environmental awareness.
1982 – April 1995 Coal Research Establishment (CRE), Cheltenham
1986 – April 1995: Project Manager (Industrial Branch)
- providing advice to manufacturers regarding current state-of-the-art fluidised combustion techniques
- working alongside research and environmental specialists to evaluate existing systems for the control of emissions from large industrial boiler plant
- assessing the operation and performance of circulating Fluidised Bed Boilers in terms of maximising efficiency and minimising environmental emissions
- establishing configuration of combustion systems. Working alongside industrial boiler manufacturers, (Babcock Power, Foster Wheeler etc) to ensure final product met customer requirements in terms of particular application and constraints required
- developing equipment to improve the combustion and operation of coal fired shell boilers. Conducting extensive field trials for equipment
- providing system solutions to improve combustion and operation, including developing control systems, and improving equipment specifications. Customers include manufacturing companies, hospitals and other process steam/space heating users
- presenting individually tailored proposals. Each contract aimed at supplying newly developed equipment, installation and commissioning services
- providing technical support relating to the commissioning; maintenance and service of combustion systems including estimation, contract planning, procuring parts/equipment, etc.
- management of service agreements including setting up preventative maintenance systems, providing on-site monitoring, servicing and fine tuning
- involved in the commissioning of special purpose large industrial boilers
- evaluation of performance of clinical waste incinerators
1982 – 1986: Design Engineer
Fundamental design studies of fluidised bed combustion systems for application in the industrial boiler market. Assistance to manufacturers to adapt their designs to incorporate fluidised bed processes including the specification of ancillary equipment.
1975 – 1982: Scientific Technician
Technician in British Coal’s Coal Research Establishment, assessing the suitability of metallurgical cokes for the steel industry.
Worked on coal liquefaction projects at CRE, and in the laboratories at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment (AERE, Harwell) on the absorption of radioactive species. During this time attended Portsmouth Polytechnic to study for a degree in chemistry.
Education / qualifications
- Degree (Upper Second) in Applied Chemistry (Fuels and Corrosion)
- Portsmouth Polytechnic
- HNC Chemistry (First year only) – Gloucester City College of Technology
- ONC Science – North Gloucestershire College of Technology
- Attended British Coal Staff College – junior, middle management and marketing courses
- Experienced user of word processing, spreadsheet and graphics packages
- Extensive use of purpose designed computer models in Basic and APL
- Status: Married – 2 children
- Driving Licence: Full
Hobbies / interests
- Organisation of Motor Cycle Road Races (Club Treasurer and Clerk of the Course)
- Other hobbies include squash, DIY and gardening